Sunday, February 03, 2008

3 Reasons to Root for the Giants

After finally starting to think about the upcoming game, I've spent the last two days trying to decide who I'm planning on rooting for. And quite honestly, I haven't been successful. I've been able to come up with reasons to pull for both teams, but neither set of reasons has convinced me. Here are the three best reasons to pull for the Giants that I've come up with. If you have better ones, I'd love to hear them.

  • Eli Manning. Lots of people hate Eli. Personally, I love him. And so should all Vikings fans. I mean, how can you not love a guy who, in his two starts against the Purple, has thrown 8 interceptions and completed only 45% of his 97 passes? The man has single handedly given the Vikings two victories against the Giants in his career, and for that reason, I hope he does well today.

  • The Vikings beat them. I think everyone can agree that this season was as close to a success as it could be without actually being one. That being said, one of the best moments was the Vikings' unexpected victory over the Giants at the Meadowlands, a victory that launched them into playoff contention and made up for the embarrassing loss to the Packers two weeks before. And if the Giants can win today, it will make that victory even better, because it will have come against the Super Bowl Champion.

  • Bill Simmons' post Super Bowl column. I'm a big fan of Schadenfreude, and a Giants win would launch a 1000 angry, bitter, complaining Patriots columns and blog posts. It would be awesome. The one I'm looking forward to the most? Bill Simmons--he's become the personification of the obnoxious Boston area fan, and seeing him have to deal with the Patriots blowing their perfect season would be unbelievably enjoyable.

No comments: