Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Killing Time-KG's Title, WhatIf Sports and Tiger

The first words out of KG's mouth last night? “This is for everyone in ‘Sota!”. So yeah, I think wwtb? has the right idea on how to react to the Celtics' title.

KFan has their early 53 man roster projections up and there's no real surprises. For the first time in awhile, the Purple are pretty much set at every position going into camp. Really, the only question marks are the last two or three roster spots and who's going to return punts and kicks. I can't say I disagree with KFAN's predictions, though I'd like to see Jaymar Johnson make the team as the sixth receiver/punt returner and though they didn't make any predictions about who'll be the returners, I'm going to mad if anyone besides Aundrae Allison fields the open kickoff at Lambeau Field.

WhatIf Sports has a preview up for the NFC North, and it's one we can all enjoy. The Vikings in first with an 11-5 record (and a possibility of 14-2)? Yeah, I can take that. Bernard Berrian with 71 receptions, 1,160 yards and 8 touchdowns? Yeah, I'll take that too. Tarvaris Jackson throwing for more yards and more touchdowns that Brett Farve II? Yeah, I'll definitely take that.

There's a new Vikings blog, Defensive Indifference (that's been added to my pathetically uncomprehensive links on the sidebar) and it's a good one. His thoughts on where Adrian Peterson stands historically are well worth a read, as is post comparing Tarvaris to other second year quarterbacks.

If you click on one link in this post, make it this one, which goes to Joe Posnanski's post on Tiger Woods and his victory in the U.S. Open. I'm a big Tiger fan for two reasons-the first goes back to a nickname I picked up in college, the second because I want to see greatness, and Tiger is, unquestionably, great. As someone who didn't get into basketball until the KG era (meaning after the Jordan era) I have never really been able to say "I saw the greatest when he was at his best" without throwing out some caveat (steroids for Barry Bonds, Randy Moss' refusal to always give 100%, etc. ). That's not true of Tiger. He is, quite simply, the greatest golfer ever. And I want him to blow by Jack Nicklaus' 18 Majors and Sam Snead's 72 tournament wins, so that I can know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I got to watch the greatest golfer that ever played the game and that I got to enjoy watching his entire career. That's the real reason I'm pulling for Tiger. And for once, the guy/team I'm pulling for is coming through, which is a nice feeling.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I'll make sure to add you when I update my links later today or tomorrow.

Not sure that I buy 19 TDs for T-Jack, though...

TBird41 said...

I'm not sure I buy it either, but I can see it happening. Tarvaris had nine last year--give him four more games and wide receivers that don't drop wide open touchdown passes and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. And if he could maintain the pace he had over the last six games (where he threw 7 TDs), he'd get to 19.

firebeard said...

I think the best part about the whatif sports is where they have AD getting 1921 yards, 15 TDs, and Chester Taylor following up with 804 yards and 8 TDs. With that kind of running game, its amazing T-Jack is throwing the ball at all.