Saturday, August 09, 2008

More Reason to Be Optimistic About Tarvaris

I didn't get to watch the game tonight, so I'm not going to do an in depth analysis of the Vikings' play, but after looking through the box score, I couldn't help but be impressed with Tarvaris' performance. When your much maligned quarterback completes 8 of 11 passes for 118 yards and a touchdown, avoids being sacked and has two passes for 30 yards and a touchdown wiped out by penalties (the first by an Anthony Herrera false start and the second due to Marcus Trufant's interference), it's a reason to be optimistic, especially when the Seahawks have an above average pass defense (they finished 14th in team DVOA against the pass).


Yeah, I know, it's the preseason, but it's nice to have Tarvaris back up my optimism in the first preseason game, especially in the wake of the Vikings' (intelligent) decision not to pursue Brett Favre. It's only going to get harder from here, but I'm confident that he can turn into the league average quarterback the Vikings need him to be if they want to contend for the Super Bowl.

No comments: