Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Good Choice

I know, I know, I promised you a rant about the coaching today. Wouldn’t you rather read something positive and optimistic instead? No? Well, too bad, because I’d much rather write it. And as was pointed out to me last night, the Vikings have an offensive rookie that is doing pretty well, and I’m not talking about Adrian Peterson.

After his breakout game against the Packers, Sidney Rice is now fifth amongst rookies in receiving yards, and fourth in receptions. Three of those four receivers were chosen ahead of him in the draft- James Jones of Green Bay was chosen in the third round. And as you may notice, only Rice is playing in a stunted passing offense.

Receiver

Pick Number

Receptions

Yards

Catch Percentage

Dwayne Bowe (KC)

23

18

299

67%

James Jones (GB)

78

18

232

64%

Calvin Johnson (DET)

2

10

189

59%

Sidney Rice (MIN)

44

10

106

56%

Anthony Gonzales (IND)

32

6

107

60%

No other rookie receiver has over 100 yards receiving yet. That includes first round draft picks Ted Ginn, Jr., Craig Davis and Robert Meachem and the USC pair of Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith that were picked after Rice in the second round. Jarrett only has one catch for six yards so far.

So far, Sidney Rice has validated the Vikings decision (and my recommendation) to choose him over all the other wide receivers available to them with their second round choice. And I have to say I'm excited see what he can do if the Vikings quarterback could throw an decent deep ball.

No comments: