Friday, October 20, 2006

Can the Optimism Remain?

One of the habits that I've been trying to get rid of is my inability to be realistic about the Vikings' chances. Every week I find a new reason to pick the Vikings. Whether its because da Bears are overrated (they are) or JP Losman is a bad quarterback (he is) or because Chris Carter had the Vikings' mentally ready to walk into the Meadowlands and destroy the Giants (they weren't), I find a reason why the Vikings should leave the field triumphant.

It seemed to me that I'd be able to break the habit in the next two weeks. It's hard to be optimistic about playing the reigning NFC Champs on the road, followed by a game against the always tough Patriots. And yet, things keep popping up. Shaun Alexander, orginally slated to be back from his foot injury in time for the game, is going to be sitting out. That wasn't enough though-the Seahawks passing game is just too good for the Vikings to handle. Deion Branch, Darrell Jackson, Bobby Engram and Nate Burleson are all quality recievers.

Except now, Bobby Engram is out. That recieving core isn't as scary anymore. It almost looks manageable. And the Seahawks haven't found a replacement for Hutchinson, which could be a big issue against one of the best defensive tackle combos in the NFL. Maybe the Williams can get some pressure on Hasselbeck and force a turn over or three. Maybe the Vikings' secondary can handle Seattle's three headed recieving monster. Maybe the Vikings figured out how to run their offense effectively during the bye week (if so, I bet it involved Childress slapping BJ upside the helmet everytime he checked down unnecessarily).

But you know what? I can't do it. I can't convince myself that Bobby Engram sitting out is going to be the difference in this game. He's good, but it's not like the Seahawks are losing Randy Moss.

So I'm going to have to pick against the Vikings, for the first time this season. The Seahawks are going to have a field day with a Vikings secondary that had problems with the Bills air attack and the BJ is going to keep checking down on 3rd and long keeping the offense sputtering and the defense on the field.

Seahawks 27, Vikings 10.

1 comment:

Pacifist Viking said...

You just reminded me of something that gives me hope. The Seattle interior blocking was roughed up by Shawn Rogers of Detroit and the Chicago monsters. Pat Williams and Kevin Williams might just be destructive enough to keep it a low-scoring affair. I guess the Seahawks look scary, but they have had two games this season in which they didn't score a TD. Though both were on the road.